We're looking for a Director of Learning & Development! This leader will have overall responsibility for successful execution and advancement of a best-in-class center of learning and development. This center (CORE, Center for Operational & Resource Excellence) serves as the US nucleus for new hire on-boarding, training of both hard and soft skills, a formalized intern program, and the formal cultivation of entry level talent. The candidate we're seeking will possess the experience and ability to create content and deliver new or on-demand training courses, especially related to soft skills focused on management, leadership, service and communication. This leader will oversee all facets of the center, be a fantastic ambassador for BCD M&E, and will be a key driver of maintaining and reinforcing our positive company culture.
- Full responsibility to develop and lead CORE
- Accountable for the overall success of CORE, as measured by the goals and objectives defined by the senior leaders of the organization
- Lead the effort to create a place and space that contributes significantly to successful recruiting of interns and entry-level talent, as well as a place that is energizing for existing employees to receive on-going development opportunities
- Be a brand ambassador for BCD M&E, internally and externally
- Build connection within BCD M&E employees to our culture, our leadership, our brand and each other
- Manage and control expenses as per annual budget
- Execution of monthly onboarding for all new hires to include: understanding of our BCD M&E brand, culture, story, expectations, standard operating procedures and our mission/vision/values
- Work with HR to ensure curriculum and on-boarding process is current and engaging.
- Manage the formalized internship program to recruit students who have a passion for our industry and upon completing our intern program, will be excited about a potential career with BCD M&E
- Establish and oversee relationship with selected university partners
- Oversee and approve marketing plan to be developed to support intern program
- Work with business leaders to establish a program to recruit hard to find talent with a passion for our industry who, upon completion of this program, will have developed loyalty to BCD M&E and be excited about a successful career in their respective business area
- Work with management to ensure individuals spend sufficient time in their role to learn and display job competencies
- Develop curriculum and training plans focused on respective business area
- Manage the formalized learning center with an emphasis on skillsets and competencies that are critical for success in our industry
- Responsible for developing and delivering exceptional learning experiences both virtual and in-person that prepare new and existing employees to excel in their work environment.
- Develop, design and deliver or partner with internal Subject Matter Experts to develop, design and deliver training programs consistent with company business objectives, strategy, and vision
- Evaluate and partner with outside vendors to deliver training when necessary.
- Curriculum includes but not limited to:
- Leadership and management training, presentation skills, problem solving, train the trainer, technology training, best practice training
- Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent) required
- Minimum of 8-10 years of experience in learning and development role
- A high level of knowledge of the meeting & event industry a preferred
- Must have a minimum of 8-10 years management experience with demonstrated proficiency in leadership expertise and people management capabilities
- Must enjoy educating and presenting, with proven experience and strong capabilities in both areas. Must have a passion and desire to build a successful and sustainable learning center.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal communication skills, including experience in public speaking and delivering presentations
- Candidate lives in the Chicago area and will work full time in HQ office
- Regular travel to deliver training in other BCD offices required & liaise with universities and recruiting partners