The American Sociological Association (ASA) invites applications for a Meeting Services Associate to support the association membership, leaders, and the Director of Meeting Services in planning and implementing the annual meeting and other smaller events as needed.
ASA has a membership of almost 12,000 sociologists who are scholars, teachers, and practitioners. Its mission is to serve sociologists in their work, advance sociology as a discipline and profession, and promote the contributions and use of sociology to society. The Annual Meeting provides the opportunity for approximately 5,500 professionals involved in the scientific study of society to share knowledge and new directions in research and practice. Nearly 600 program sessions are convened during the four-day meeting held every August to provide participation venues and networking outlets for nearly 3,000 research papers and over 4,600 presenters. ASA's office is located in Washington, D.C.Reporting Structure: The Meeting Services Associate reports to the Director of Meeting Services.
- Facilitate written and electronic annual meeting communications including, but not limited to, newsletters and the printed program
- Support the activities of the Program Committee on annual meeting planning and content
- Manage the submission and scheduling process for the annual meeting
- Serve as liaison to annual meeting member session planners regarding process and procedure; Conduct training webinars; Create, update and maintain written resources for planners
- Maintain online annual meeting program and mobile device application
- Facilitate planning for association governance meetings including, but not limited to, site selection, catering, audio-visual/other technology, printing and supplies
- Respond to relevant requests for assistance from members and staff
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Meeting Services
- College degree
- Three years of experience in meetings/special events
- Exemplary writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated problem solving, creative thinking, process development, and project management skills
- Ability to implement projects independently and work with various departments/stakeholders as a team
- Ability to identify work priorities and successfully manage multiple projects at once
- Strong work ethic
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Commitment to customer/member service excellence
- Experience using, navigating, and managing online tools/resources, such as but not limited to, ConferenceShare, CoreApps, All Academic, DropBox, and other online databases and association management software
Compensation: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. A full benefits package is provided.
ASA is an equal opportunity employer.