The American Student Dental Association (ASDA) was founded in 1971 and is the largest dental student organization in the United States. With a membership of more than 24,000, ASDA represents 94% of dental students from all 66 dental schools. ASDA’s mission is to protect and advance the rights, interests and welfare of dental students. The association introduces students to lifelong involvement in organized dentistry and provides services, information, education, representation and advocacy. ASDA representatives vote in the ADA House of Delegates, sit on most ADA councils and commissions and comprise one of the most respected student organizations in the nation.
ASDA is located off Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago, with a staff of 14 and an operating budget of $4.5 million.
The Meetings Manager is responsible for managing the strategy, planning, and execution of all aspects of the ASDA meeting, events and programs. Meetings range in size from twenty to several hundred attendees.
- Selects venue and coordinates logistics for all association meetings. Includes the Annual Session, National Leadership Conference, and Spring and Fall Council meetings. Assists with the development of the program content,
- Researches facilities, conducts site inspections and selects facilities.
- Manages and negotiates contracts with hotels and vendors.
- Negotiates, contracts and communicates with speakers. Reconciles speaker invoices.
- Manages Meetings Coordinator.
- Manage relationships with destination management companies.
- Serves as main contact with marketing to ensure all ASDA meeting marketing materials are being disseminated, collected and edited properly.
- Develops and manages budget for meetings department.
- Serves as the staff liaison to the Council on Sessions and the National Leadership Conference Planning Committee. Attends meetings, prepares agendas, meeting minutes and coordinates committee and council activities.
- Coordinates PACE program (education certification) ASDA meetings. Creates, collects and submits required PACE forms on behalf of ASDA attendees.
- Manages program evaluations and analyzes results. Recommends improvements to committees, councils and staff.
- Provides meeting content and information for e-newsletters, the website and mobile app (education sessions, speakers).
- Manages script development for all meetings.
- Develops relationships with convention bureaus and hotel representatives.
- Provides onsite coordination for meetings.
- Ensures meetings, programs and events achieve organizational goals and objective.
- Fulfills other duties as assigned.
- Some travel and weekend/overtime work required.
- Bachelor's degree in hospitality, event management, business, communications, marketing or related field. Professional designation CMP preferred.
- Five plus years experience in meeting planning, preferably with an association. Experience working with volunteers.
- Demonstrated experience managing staff.
- Excellent organizational abilities, ability to manage a number of projects simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal relations, display exemplary customer skills and collaborate effectively with various internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience managing budgets.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Familiarity with association management software (Association Anywhere) preferred.
This search is being conducted by Tuft & Associates. To apply please forward your resume electronically with cover letter in confidence to: Mary McMahon, Associate, Tuft & Associates: email@example.com; phone: 312-642-8889.