Position Summary: The Convention Manager provides logistic support for the PAS Meeting by both overseeing and managing Event Logistical Services vital to the success of the meeting. An integral part of the teams’ planning, the Meeting Manager will work closely with the Central Office staff, society staff leads, society officers and members, and vendors to advance the strategic plan of the PAS Meeting. This position reports directly to the PAS Meeting Director.
Responsibilities: The Convention Manager’s responsibilities will require strong project management skills and the ability to work as part of multiple, cohesive teams. Duties will range from administrative tasks to high-level critical thinking and the successful candidate will perform all tasks with a positive attitude and willingness to adapt to changing needs as departments evolve. The position will support the PAS Meeting Planning Department and will work closely with the PAS Meeting Director, Program Director, Digital Communication Manager, Program Associate, and assigned PAS vendors. Key responsibilities include:
- Oversee all aspects of conference group housing, housing vendor management, hotel contract management, future city sourcing, and VIP housing management for the PAS Meeting
- Oversee all scientific and non-scientific ancillary event room assignment and logistical needs. This includes working closely with key conference planning vendors, society leads, and Central Office staff to ensure successful session placement, venue management, catering, audio-visual, room-set, signage and budget management
- Oversee contract management for outside vendor contracts related to the PAS Meeting
- Create, and successful implementation of the PAS Planning Timeline for all logistical planning duties, based on the PAS Meeting’s 18-month timeline. This includes the Society Leads planning timeline and webpage.
Oversee and implement all complimentary badge, registration, speaker, and awardee procedures
- Bachelor’s Degree; Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) designation preferred
- Minimum of three years of progressive experience planning conventions, conferences, and/or professional meetings, experience working in varied roles and work environments related to event planning welcomed (i.e. hotel/hospitality and/or catering)
- Prior experience with site selection, contract negotiations (hotels and vendors), and knowledge of meeting industry trends and planning tools.
- High level of initiative, critical thinking, sound judgment and problem-solving skills
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Superior organizational and time management skills with the demonstrated ability to multi-task and successfully manage high-stress situations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Conference Planning Software
- Ability to travel to the PAS Meeting as well as future city sites
- Calm, good-humored, flexible, and clear-thinking in a fast-paced environment; a consistently positive collaborative partner