JOB TITLE: Manager of Clinical Certification & Exams
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
NUMBER OF REPORTS: 1
JOB TYPE: 14-month term (maternity leave replacement); possibility of being a full-time or part-time term position
LOCATION: Position could be based in the Ottawa office or could be based remotely
START DATE: Mid-January 2019THE OPPORTUNITY
Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC) is seeking an enthusiastic and experienced Manager of Clinical Certification & Exams to lead the development and implementation of SAC’s new certification program as well as the new Canadian Entry-to-Practice (CETP) Exam for speech-language pathologists and audiologists. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who thrives on challenge, enjoys project management and is looking to build their skills in an energetic environment.
SAC is the national professional association representing over 6,400 communication health professionals (speech-language pathologists, audiologists and communication health assistants). SAC recently embarked on an ambitious project to revitalize and modernize its Clinical Certification Program, which has been a flagship program of the association for over 30 years. Last year, SAC was also awarded the contract to administer the first CETP Exam for communication health professionals. These are high-stakes projects for the association and SAC is looking for a skilled leader to help build these initiatives from the ground up.
As the ideal candidate you are innovative, creative and excel in environments that embrace change. You are a solution-oriented leader who enjoys taking on new challenges. You are a critical thinker comfortable with completing a large variety of tasks. You have experience managing programs, volunteers and meetings. You are organized, have excellent time management skills and work well both independently and as part of a team.OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
SAC Clinical Certification Program
- Overseeing and managing the current SAC Clinical Certification Program which includes all aspects of clinical certification maintenance, audits, continuing education equivalents, online declaration forms and IT
- Acting as project lead for the revitalized Clinical Certification Program:
- Project planning
- Leading change management
- Establishing new policies and procedures
- Overseeing IT requirements
- Collaborating with external and internal stakeholders
SAC Clinical Certification Exam
- Managing all aspects of the SAC Clinical Certification Exam:
- Coordinating with the service provider tasked with supporting test development and examination administration, including exam planning, logistics, psychometrics and reporting
- Preparing, maintaining and disseminating examination information to potential candidates
- Processing incoming applications
- Examination sites and invigilators
- Exam reporting and appeals
- Leading the change management associated with closing down the SAC Clinical Examination process as SAC transitions to administering the new CETP Exams in the fall of 2020 and launching the new Clinical Certification Program in early 2020
New Canadian Entry-to-Practice (CETP) Exams
- Managing the project plan and schedule for the development and administration of the first CETP Exams
- Coordinating CETP Implementation Advisory Group meetings and materials
- Managing the exam process, from exam development to reporting
- Developing, writing and reviewing policies and procedures
- Developing new materials, tools, resources and systems
- Managing online platforms and software related to the exams
Committee and Meeting Management
- Acting as staff liaison for several SAC standing committees
- Overseeing committee meeting logistics:
- Negotiating with hotel and service providers
- Committee travel and accommodations
- Supporting the recruitment and training of committee volunteers
- Managing the Standards and Ethics Committee meetings and activities:
- Entire appeal process including member decertification
- Referrals to the appropriate regulatory or government body for standards issues
- Reviewing and creating policies and procedures
Additional Roles & Responsibilities
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Supporting the strategic goals of the association
- Participating in the development and execution of annual operational goals and activities
- Developing and managing the department’s budgets
- Managing and guiding the work of the Administrator, Clinical Certification & Exams
- Building strong professional relationships with staff, volunteers and stakeholders
- Working alongside the communications staff to develop impactful communications strategies to support the department’s projects and goals
- Conducting environmental scans, research and benchmarks, as required
- Coordinating university presentations and engaging with students and new professionals
- Other special projects, as assigned
- Minimum of 5 years of related professional experience
- Completion of a recognized post-secondary degree or diploma in management, education, or a related field
- Experience with committee and volunteer management
- A high level of proficiency in database management
- Experience with project management and change management
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, online platforms and advanced knowledge of Excel
- Experience working in a membership-based organization is an asset
- Familiarity with academic, legislative and/or public service environments.
- Project management skills – Demonstrated ability to effectively run multiple/concurrent projects and set priorities within tight timelines.
- Organizational Skills – Extremely well-organized and detail oriented. Ability to set priorities, work under pressure and meet firm deadlines.
- Forward-Thinking – Brings an innovative and forward-thinking approach to all initiatives and tasks.
- Change Management – Ability to influence and manage organizational change while building consensus amongst stakeholders.
- Problem Solving – Ability to develop and communicate solutions/responses to diverse problems/requests.
- Initiative – Displays a high level of initiative with the ability to recognize and anticipate what needs to be done.
- Communication Skills – Ability to effectively present and clarify requirements, expectations, ideas and concepts to various audiences/stakeholders. Ability to express ideas clearly in an organized and structured format, including correct grammar, terminology and language adjusted to the characteristics and needs of targeted audiences.
- Interpersonal Skills – Congenial personality with the ability to get along with many different types of people.
- Sound Judgement – Ability to respect strict confidentiality and work with discretion.
Bilingualism (English/French) is an asset for this position.
The work within the scope of this position requires an individual with a flexible work schedule, who can work some evenings/weekends, when required. The Manager of Clinical Certification & Exams is required to do some travel, but extensive travel is not required. TO APPLY
If you think your skills, education, experience and personality, make you the person for this job, we’d love to hear from you!
SAC is an equal opportunity employer that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and provides accommodation and support to persons with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Send a cover letter explaining why you would be a great addition to our team along with your salary expectations and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for priority selection is November 28, 2018. Please write “Application for SAC Manager of Clinical Certification & Exams” in the subject line of your email.
For a PDF version of this job posting, please click here.
Please note: We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. However, we will only contact candidates we have selected for an interview.